Department of Graduate Studies is a body functioning within the structure of Azerbaijan Institute of Theology established according to the President’s Order No 3654 dated February 9, 2018 “On the Establishment of Azerbaijan Institute of Theology”.
The department is guided by the Law of the Republic of Azerbaijan “On Education”, decisions of the Cabinet of Ministers of the Republic of Azerbaijan, State Strategy on Development of Education in the Republic of Azerbaijan, Acts of the Ministry of Education of the Republic of Azerbaijan, the State Committee on Religious Associations of the Republic of Azerbaijan, Regulation on organizing the educational process through a credit system in higher education institutions, the Charter of the Institute, other legislative acts in force in the Republic of Azerbaijan, decrees and orders of the rector, decisions of the Academic Council of the Institute and other academic and methodological recommendations.
The activities of the Department of Graduate Studies include:
- Dealing with the organization and coordination of MA and PhD students’ researches
- Keeping records of the documents sent to and from the department
- Preparing all statistical information on MA and PhD students
- Preparing MA and PhD students’ personal documents and recording relevant changes in them
- Organizing admission exams for doctoral degree
- Preparing all orders and documents related to doctoral studies
- Performing other functions arising out of legislation
The department prepares MA students in the following majors concerning Religious Studies:
1. History of religions
2. Sociology of religion
3. Islamic Studies
4. Psychology of religion
5. The philosophy of religion
In addition to general training, graduate students are working on thesis by specialized departments under the guidance of highly qualified specialists. After defending their thesis, students are awarded a Master's degree.